CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rifle stock

on 2008-02-03 22:28:59 UTC
Leaving reference flats is a good idea. The angle iron as a straight
edge is also a good idea. I did some 3" moldings that had 5 cuts to
them and were only a bit bigger than 1/4" square. My vise was only
4" across. I used paralells and just slid the material in the vise
to make the next cut. I was worried that there would be marks for
each new cut, but it looked like one continuous cut when done. As
long as you can support the stock and keep dust etc out of the mating
area between your straight edge it should work ok. Of course don't
take heavey cuts and just be careful when repositioning the work and
things should be fine. Take some pictures and let us know how it
went. Living on the edge is how progress is accomplished. Be safe.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, stan <stan.distortion@...>
wrote:

> "Indexing head" is another term to look for. For what you are doing
you could
> make up a jig to hold the full length of the stock between centers
and move
> the whole jig to cut each section. You will still need a way to
rotate the
> piece with a motor and position sensor though.
> It would be simpler to cut each side separately (ie, first the
left, then the
> right) but leave areas of the block of material untouched so you
have
> reference points to re-position the work on the table to cut the
next section
> and so when you flip the work over it is the correct height from
the table
> without needing any packing or supports. A strip of angle fixed at
the back
> of the table will give you a straight edge to butt up against so
you will
> only have to worry about getting the left/right accurately
positioned between
> sections.
> Engineering. 90% common sense, 10% knowledge. And about 160% jigs,
bits of
> packing, bits with other bits welded on and a whole lot of other
things that
> do the job admirably but look like part of a mad max set :) .
> cheers.

Discussion Thread

dannym@a... 2008-02-02 20:05:00 UTC Rifle stock Michael Fagan 2008-02-02 22:07:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rifle stock dannym@a... 2008-02-02 22:19:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rifle stock stan 2008-02-03 00:21:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rifle stock stan 2008-02-03 00:25:36 UTC Re: Rifle stock Harvie Nielsen 2008-02-03 22:28:59 UTC Re: Rifle stock R Wink 2008-02-03 22:29:30 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rifle stock David LeVine 2008-02-08 17:47:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rifle stock