CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cad/Cam program problem

Posted by caudlet
on 2008-02-17 17:37:44 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Franklin York"
<franklin.york@...> wrote:

> I am new to Cad and CNC and have an issue with Desknc that I need
some help
> with.
>
> I am drawing a basic bearing block that has 4 mounting holes 3/8"
from each
> edge and
>
> one hole dead center that is ¾" in diameter. The block is 2" square.
I am
> using Adobe
>
> Illustrator CS3 to design the block. When I export my file as a DXF and
> import it into
>
> Desknc I get an error message "Explode all splines before importing". I
> don't understand
>
> this as I have used Turbocad, Corel Draw as well as AI and get the same
> message. Is
>
> there another Cam program I might test drive to get a better handle
on this
> or does
>
> someone on the group know what I need to do in AI to fix this?
>

> Stumpman

I don't know about TurboCAD but in CorelDraw select all objects and do
an Arrange/Convert to Curves prior to DXF export. Be aware that both
CorelDraw and AI export DXF arcs as hundreds of tiny line segments.
CAM programs can't import "Splines" or Bezier Curves. G-code has no
provision for complex curves and will only generate a toolpath for an
arc with a beginning and ending XY location and an Arc radius. Even
for circles you have to put together arc segments.

Some programs export DXF in arc segments rather than line segments. A
lot depends on how the DXF import filter in DeskCNC handles curves.
You can try my free demo of DXFTool program for CorelDraw (ver 12 and
later) but I think I remember that DeskCNC does not handle the import.

If you can run with G-code then try the Demo of SheetCAM. It will
import the DXF that DXFTool generates and preserve the Arcs.

Tom Caudle
www.CandCNC.com

Discussion Thread

Franklin York 2008-02-17 17:23:04 UTC Cad/Cam program problem caudlet 2008-02-17 17:37:44 UTC Re: Cad/Cam program problem Michael Milligan 2008-02-17 23:49:28 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cad/Cam program problem NEVILLE WEBSTER 2008-02-18 02:49:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cad/Cam program problem Mic 2008-02-18 05:12:58 UTC Re: Cad/Cam program problem Fred Smith 2008-02-18 06:30:03 UTC Re: Cad/Cam program problem fbcsnh@c... 2008-02-18 11:39:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cad/Cam program problem fbcsnh@c... 2008-02-18 11:40:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cad/Cam program problem