CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: LinuxCNC laptops - OT Compaq

on 2008-03-05 01:33:04 UTC
Compaq = Gorgeous, reliable, well engineered - yes. Very Nice.
But WAY overpriced (in Europe= no discounts).
Poor bang for the buck.
And silly problems like the cd you mentioned, just like old ibm stuff.
And SUN solaris stuff (the big ones).

NEVER buy Compaq stuff like that. Thats why they tanked, just like the
old ibm (who donĀ“t do the silly games any more).

(Oh, I sold 1/3 the internet in Finland and 8% in Spain, and managed 70
servers (and 500 routers) 24x7 and was tech mgr for nr 4 pc store in
Finland, so I have plenty of experience in this stuff).

For reliable laptops in general, today, buy asus or something similar.
Excellent engineering, no frills, no games with hw and similar.

Acer may be ok. HP is very suspect. DELL likewise.

AND before everyone flames me with the "..my [mark] never has problems
..." these are based on real-world results.
Whats your maintenance cost in work hours / 100 laptops ?

And if you only have one, and spent 30 hours getting it to run right
(display driver issues, how is your sleep mode, does the touchpad work,
and the usb, ... ) at 30$ / hour it was pretty expensive. For 100
laptops its a disaster (and about average in any general organisation I
know of).

</RANT>

Dave Halliday wrote:
> Drifting a bit off-topic here but if you think Compaq laptops and Desktops
> are a bother, check out their Servers.
>
> Gorgeous machines, bulletproof, very high performance and incredible bang
> for the buck (I worked with a lot of them about eight to twelve years ago)
>
> In order to make any and I do mean __any__ changes to the configuration, you
> had to have a proprietary CD-ROM disk for that model of machine.
>
> No disk + hardware change = bricked machine until you could get a
> replacement disk and reformat.
>
> Change RAM, add another HD - you needed that disk.
>
> They used to be available for free download but now they are available only
> as a part (re: $$$) and the older ones are no longer available.
>
> If you ever get the chance to buy a Compaq server on eBay or wherever, you
> will not be dissapointed but it needs to come with that CD-ROM.
>
> Dave
> (who owns and loves three Compaq 1850Rs)

Discussion Thread

marcin_ose 2008-03-03 18:43:08 UTC LinuxCNC laptops stan 2008-03-03 18:49:13 UTC Ref: LinuxCNC laptops Stephen Wille Padnos 2008-03-03 19:17:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC laptops Tom Hubin 2008-03-03 22:16:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC laptops Michael Fagan 2008-03-03 22:19:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC laptops Stephen Wille Padnos 2008-03-03 22:21:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC laptops Stephen Wille Padnos 2008-03-03 22:26:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC laptops Michael Fagan 2008-03-03 22:32:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC laptops Yahoo 2008-03-04 07:48:56 UTC Re: LinuxCNC laptops caudlet 2008-03-04 07:50:57 UTC Re: LinuxCNC laptops Dave Halliday 2008-03-04 23:42:52 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: LinuxCNC laptops gcode fi (hanermo) 2008-03-05 01:33:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: LinuxCNC laptops - OT Compaq stan 2008-03-05 02:08:26 UTC Ref: LinuxCNC laptops - OT Compaq Michael Fagan 2008-03-05 21:38:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ref: LinuxCNC laptops - OT Compaq