CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: my CNC research project

Posted by afogassa
on 2008-07-09 08:20:04 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "alexander samuel borsody"
<borsodas@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "alexander samuel borsody"
> <borsodas@> wrote:
> >
> > hey group, I'm a technical writer and researcher for
thomasnet.com,
> > I've been lurking here on the forum trying to keep up with the
> > discussion. I am an sculpture and am currently looking into
building
> > my own CNC for under 2 thousand dollars. Because of this, I'm
> > currently writing an article on DIY, CNC, and am interested in
what
> > people think are the most important things to cover, I'm
interested in
> > affordable plans and machines, as well, the essentials, of
homebuilt
> > as well as desktop CNC. Anyone who can offer info, please help!
> > Preferably were trying to put something out there that would be
useful
> > and or unique, not just a copy of something you can find anywhere
> >

> I meant to say that parametric programming is being used more in
> recent days.not that it is a recent advancement.
>
> am I leaving anything out?

i don't think you'll find parametric programming on pc based cnc
programms, pc cnc controllers are made to make life easy.
I did work with industrial controllers that uses that such as
FAGOR, and it's very usefull for simple tasks like programming a
taper wall milling, or making pockets, but when it comes to more
complex geometry then a cam is needed.
Eaving Fagor controllers has grafics or a mini Cad/Cam built in to
help programming.
In production works all the programming is done by hand as you can
make a more efficient programm that way and save time during the
manufacturing process, so , you losse some time programming , while
the machine is running some other parts, but you save machine time
on the long run.
I'm not a big fan of parametric, no matter how good someone did
the parametric stuff, it takes far less time to draw and to
generate the cnc programm with a cad/cam software that's becoming
cheaper and cheaper these days.
You can build a cnc milling for less then 2K but don't expect to
have that 200 in/min and 0.001" accuracy.
I did find out that accuracy comes to be exponential in price.

Discussion Thread

Philip Burman 2008-07-09 00:12:51 UTC Re: my CNC research project afogassa 2008-07-09 08:20:04 UTC Re: my CNC research project mayfieldtm 2008-07-09 10:20:12 UTC Re: my CNC research project afogassa 2008-07-09 19:40:54 UTC Re: my CNC research project mayfieldtm 2008-07-10 06:00:21 UTC Re: my CNC research project gsi11135 2008-07-10 07:56:43 UTC Re: my CNC research project William J Weder 2008-07-11 13:58:35 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: my CNC research project