CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

virus

From: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2000 7:13 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 607

Hi,

Geoff Bullough, Bolton, Manchester, UK
I've just recently joined the group and so have spent about 8 hours reading
everything you've written and checking out links you mentioned. I suppose
by US standards Tony Jeffree, Ian Wright and I are practically neighbours.

I always keep my Windows 98 and Norton Antivirus updated regularly, but
until I got Ian's e-mail I had Windows Scripting Host enabled. I've now gone
into settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup,
Accessories and unticked Windows Scripting Host. I updated my Norton
Antivirus and ran it on my machine. It found nothing wrong, but when I
checked its virus encyclopedia it doesn't seem to list Kakworm, so I checked
out the Norton site and followed their instructions for editing out this
virus. Powered up in DOS and running Edit, I couldn't find any sign of
virus activity, so I guess I'm okay, despite my 8 hours of downloading.

Regards,
Geoff

> Message: 20
> Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 18:44:51 +0100
> From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
> Subject: virus
>
> Hi,
>
> Someone today has kindly sent me a copy of the Kakworm virus. Fortunately,
> as I have the Microsoft scripting gizmo turned off it didn't manage to
> infect my system but, as the only mail I got today was from this group and
> one other, it is a distinct possibility that someone out there has it.
>
> Can I suggest that everyone checks their machines for the presence of
files
> with the .kak and .hta extension - If you find any, you have the virus and
> need to go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms99-032.asp and get
the
> IE patch and also look at
> http://www.symantec.com/avcentre/venc/data/wscript.kakworm.html , if this
> link doesn't work you can just search the site for Kakworm
>
> I'm now bombproof against this type of virus - are you?
>
> Ian
>
> _________
>
> Ian W. Wright
> Sheffield UK

Thomas Gilmour 2000-05-23 21:03:04 UTC virus Ian Wright 2000-08-05 10:48:16 UTC virus Geoff Bullough 2000-08-06 12:20:14 UTC virus Tony Jeffree 2000-08-06 13:06:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] virus Terry Owens 2000-08-06 13:08:18 UTC Re: virus Brian 2001-12-06 05:01:22 UTC virus Brian 2002-01-05 17:35:38 UTC virus afogassa 2002-10-29 17:37:42 UTC virus