CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: virus

Posted by Terry Owens
on 2000-08-06 13:08:18 UTC
Hi Geoff,

I went passed you house at 3am this morning. I was the one on the
Goldwing doing 110mph with Patsy Cline on the stereo.

Terry

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Geoff Bullough"
<geoff.windmill@v...> wrote:

> [...]
__
> Hi,
>
> Geoff Bullough, Bolton, Manchester, UK
> I've just recently joined the group and so have spent about 8 hours
reading
> everything you've written and checking out links you mentioned. I
suppose
> by US standards Tony Jeffree, Ian Wright and I are practically
neighbours.

> I always keep my Windows 98 and Norton Antivirus updated regularly,
but
> until I got Ian's e-mail I had Windows Scripting Host enabled. I've
now gone
> into settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup,
> Accessories and unticked Windows Scripting Host. I updated my
Norton
> Antivirus and ran it on my machine. It found nothing wrong, but
when I
> checked its virus encyclopedia it doesn't seem to list Kakworm, so
I checked
> out the Norton site and followed their instructions for editing out
this
> virus. Powered up in DOS and running Edit, I couldn't find any
sign of
> virus activity, so I guess I'm okay, despite my 8 hours of
downloading.

> Regards,
> Geoff

__

> > Message: 20
> > Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 18:44:51 +0100
> > From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@i...>
> > Subject: virus
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Someone today has kindly sent me a copy of the Kakworm virus.
Fortunately,
> > as I have the Microsoft scripting gizmo turned off it didn't
manage to
> > infect my system but, as the only mail I got today was from this
group and
> > one other, it is a distinct possibility that someone out there
has it.

> > Can I suggest that everyone checks their machines for the
presence of
> files
> > with the .kak and .hta extension - If you find any, you have the
virus and
> > need to go to
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms99-032.asp
and get
> the
> > IE patch and also look at
> > http://www.symantec.com/avcentre/venc/data/wscript.kakworm.html ,
if this
> > link doesn't work you can just search the site for Kakworm
> >
> > I'm now bombproof against this type of virus - are you?
> >
> > Ian
> >
> > _________
> >
> > Ian W. Wright
> > Sheffield UK

__

Discussion Thread

Thomas Gilmour 2000-05-23 21:03:04 UTC virus Ian Wright 2000-08-05 10:48:16 UTC virus Geoff Bullough 2000-08-06 12:20:14 UTC virus Tony Jeffree 2000-08-06 13:06:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] virus Terry Owens 2000-08-06 13:08:18 UTC Re: virus Brian 2001-12-06 05:01:22 UTC virus Brian 2002-01-05 17:35:38 UTC virus afogassa 2002-10-29 17:37:42 UTC virus