CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: AHHA gone, what next

on 2008-11-04 11:12:29 UTC
There's the free one, Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC2), that runs
under Linux (and other flavors of Unix).

http://linuxcnc.org/

The nice thing about it is that you can create a boot-able CD that
will load Linux and the CNC program, leaving the Windows system on
your hard drive unaltered.

I'm not sure how it handles files. If I remember correctly, there
are device drivers in Linux that will read the Windows hard disk,
but not write to it.

Then there's QuickStep

http://cpwojcik.home.att.net/Qstep/Quickstep_CNCx.html

It seems to sell only on eBay. Search for Quickstep3 or
visit "carolbrent" store.

It is not nearly as robust as Mach3 and only handles 3 axis.
Chances are you are going to want a 4th axis someday.

The same guy also sells a stepper motor driver

http://cpwojcik.home.att.net/QSDriver2/Page_1x.html

Maximum voltage is a little low for 6 amp motors (larger motors run
better with higher voltages on chopper steppers).

One thing I notice in both of this guy's web pages. He doesn't list
prices and doesn't show how to order. If this is an indication of
the quality of his products, I am a bit skeptical.

But in all honesty, I've used Mach3 for several years on several
machine configurations. I have never found anything about it
difficult to configure. For the most part, except for motor tuning,
it pretty much runs on a standard configuration right out of the
box. And no matter what CNC program you use, you are going to be
faced with motor tuning (unless you buy a package that bundles the
machine and software).

Mach3 also has a great support group.

For any CNC controller program, if they have wide acceptance, they
are going to have robust configuration capabilities because there is
no such thing as a "standard" CNC setup, especially in the "hobby"
world. If you are wanting the "plug and play" world of Windows, you
are in the wrong hobby.

Regards,
Gary

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Fairey" <bfairey@...>
wrote:

> I thought that Mach3 would do the trick but althougth it is very
> powerful it is tricky to set up. Anyone have any suggestions for a
CNC
> program for a 3 axis mill.
> Brian Fairey.

Discussion Thread

Brian Fairey 2008-11-04 05:53:26 UTC AHHA gone, what next Jack McKie 2008-11-04 06:34:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] AHHA gone, what next Stephen Wille Padnos 2008-11-04 09:14:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] AHHA gone, what next wildhorsesoftware 2008-11-04 11:12:29 UTC Re: AHHA gone, what next shawn c 2008-11-04 13:07:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] AHHA gone, what next azdlb 2008-11-06 07:48:47 UTC Re: AHHA gone, what next