CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport

Posted by Danny Miller
on 2009-02-18 10:52:42 UTC
The G540 is the equivalent of 4 individual G203's in one box, plus it
ends in a prewired parallel port connector instead of a bunch of wire
quick connectors. Also has isolated switches for controlling a motor
relay which the G203 does not. Either one will work great electrically,
pretty much the same driver. The G540 is just tops for practicality and
not especially expensive. Far easier to mount and connect.

My computer came was found on the curb during heavy trash day. I even
looked it up and found an ad for that model that was like $129 I think.
Wow... that's cheapo. But only a few years old. Well I found its power
supply was bad, which conveniently explained why it was discarded. I
found the RAM and processor from my last computer were actually better
than what was in there so I swapped them out. Also it had on-board
video and would require an older AGP card for external video, again, I
had a junk pile from my previous machines which obliged on that front.
Also found on heavy trash day was an LCD monitor which kept going out,
requiring much slapping, but I found the cold solder joint on the board
causing that. But now, hey, free computer! Except for like $50 for the
power supply.

Danny

Marv Frankel wrote:
> Dan,
> I just went through almost the same scenario, except my
> Bridgeport came with all the original controls, which I quickly
> scrapped. Bought 3 Gecko 203's from Mariss, a breakout board from Bob
> Campbell, and a 50V 15Amp power supply from a local swap meet. The
> computer that runs the whole thing was $229.00 with XP Pro. I'm using
> the 3 original steppers, and it's amazing how quietly they run. The
> only problem I'm having now, is getting the Homing/Limits to work
> right, but the mill cuts like a champ, and someday I'll learn to
> utilize all of the bells and whistles that Mach3 has built in. Don't
> be afraid to get your feet wet. There are a lot of guys in this group
> that are willing to help.
>
> Marv Frankel
> Los Angeles

Discussion Thread

danieltmedlin 2009-02-17 15:52:28 UTC MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Danny Miller 2009-02-17 22:32:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Marv Frankel 2009-02-18 05:41:43 UTC Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Danny Miller 2009-02-18 10:52:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Jim Fleig - CNC Services 2009-02-18 11:54:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Henrik Olsson 2009-02-18 12:50:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Andrew Werby 2009-02-18 13:06:36 UTC Re: Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Danny Miller 2009-02-18 17:31:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Michael Fagan 2009-02-18 18:45:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport Jim Fleig - CNC Services 2009-02-23 00:12:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MachMotion vs. DIY for a Bridgeport