CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What the hobby CNC industries need!

Posted by danmauch
on 2009-03-04 13:59:00 UTC
When you are ready to add CNC let me know as I have helped quite few people with their shoptask automate their machines.
I know what size stepper to provide and which drivers are best.
Dan Mauch
www.camtronics-cnc.com
low cost cases for gecko G540, G203, G201 and G210 drivers
dmauch@...

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "universeartman" <universeartman@...> wrote:

> Knowledge is everything::
>
> To get specefic I have a shoptask (one made in china) love it and am going to automate it. I understand that by the time I am done I will have to spend 1-2k. I am able to upgrade to roller leads so the system will be adaptable to good speed. Other than that I would be cool to put the parameters into a box and have a prefered solution drop out so I can get to the purchase, assembly and running stage.
> I would also like to make the machine 4 axis and have been searching for a rotary table to go with the system and connot seem to figure out how to sepc the thing.
> Wow!
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "gcode fi (hanermo)" <yahoog@> wrote:
> >
> > Partially, ... and your Q/point/request is a good one.
> > I was about to write such a book a few years ago ... and work got in the
> > way.
> >
> > There is a difficulty -
> > most of this stuff is really, really, easy - in a very specific way, for
> > a very specific set of needs/desires.
> >
> > Change anything in a very small way, and the output changes
> > dramatically, often in a non.linear way, and sometimes with surprising
> > implications and work/costs related to that.
> > In a previous life, I have been a somewhat high-end or big problems IT
> > guy for about 15 years... and the situation was exactly the same.
> > And the clients never wanted to be told the truth - ie they needed to
> > look at their needs and not at the server boxes/hw etc.
> > CNC stuff is exactly the same.
> >
> > With a large amount of experience, a person with several machines
> > experience can instantly pick the right answer, all the time. It may not
> > be the best answer, but it will almost always be very good, and usually
> > for a fair price, as most of us here have a limited budget and have
> > learned to be very efficient (not necessarily cheap).
> >
> > Problems;
> > The right choice is a matrix;
> > This means everything depends on everything, and unless the users know
> > what they want, they cannot get a good, efficient (cheap) solution.
> > CNC is relatively expensive.
> > You end up sending at least 1000, probably 2000$, for a setup, at a minimum.
> > People will read that "I made a milling machine for 100$" ... this is
> > simply not true.
> >
> > Most of that 2k$ is tooling, jigs, instruments etc etc.
> > If you are a tool & die maker, machinist, mechanic etc. and you have a
> > large set of tools, you can make most anything without buying a lot of
> > new stuff. You cannot make it cheaper, in general, (at minimum wage say
> > 5$/hr) than buying some of it, but You *can* make almost all of it.
> >
> > To really have a cnc milling machine you need measuring instruments (DI,
> > DTI, mics, calipers), tooling (end mills, holders, collets, draw bars),
> > stock (of known quality metal or material like plastics wood),
> > hold-down, vices etc. etc. plus a decent spindle, linear system, motors,
> [...]

Discussion Thread

556RECON 2009-03-04 07:57:54 UTC What the hobby CNC industries need! whitey 2009-03-04 08:50:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What the hobby CNC industries need! Yahoo 2009-03-04 08:53:33 UTC Re: What the hobby CNC industries need! Chuck Merja 2009-03-04 09:30:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What the hobby CNC industries need! Roland Jollivet 2009-03-04 09:56:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What the hobby CNC industries need! universeartman 2009-03-04 10:18:08 UTC Re: What the hobby CNC industries need! gcode fi (hanermo) 2009-03-04 10:20:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What the hobby CNC industries need! R.L. Wurdack 2009-03-04 10:43:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What the hobby CNC industries need! 556RECON 2009-03-04 11:58:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What the hobby CNC industries need! universeartman 2009-03-04 13:51:07 UTC Re: What the hobby CNC industries need! danmauch 2009-03-04 13:59:00 UTC Re: What the hobby CNC industries need! wanliker@a... 2009-03-04 18:10:08 UTC What the hobby CNC industries need! Jon Elson 2009-03-04 19:23:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What the hobby CNC industries need! George Reynolds 2009-03-05 11:34:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What the hobby CNC industries need!