CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]thanks & more

William Thomas wrote:
> Hi All:
> THANKS JON for the update. I am not an EMC man so I didn't know it would do this. That Would be a good way to go. While I have you attention what do you know about DC drive motors? I just found out the 10 HP motor in the lathe I purchased last month has a DC varispeed drive motor in it. That is why it has a separate cooling fan beside it. I have another motor control panel I need to check out first before I can as questions. Need to know all about what I have. (two pick up loads of electrical stuff)

The Monarch 10EE had a pretty famous DC electrical varispeed drive. To
do this right, you needed a VERY oversize motor so you get enough torque
at the low speed end, without the benefit of gear reduction. There were
a couple versions, one used a motor-generator set, the later used
thyratron tubes. Both, I think, also used field weakening control of
the motor.

So, is this a Monarch, or other make?

I do know a fair bit about big motor drives, but don't make anything
over 2 Hp myself. A commercial 10 Hp drive will cost quite a bunch,
new. You may have a serviceable drive in your 2 truckloads, or may be
able to find something on eBay in that size range.
> Is anyone still using punched tape? I found a brand new tape reader sealed in plastic wrap in the original box.

I'm sure there are people who still use them, but really, VERY out of
date. Some of the "bit savers" crowd who are archiving ancient computer
programs might be interested in the reader.

John 2010-05-13 12:10:11 UTC Wow this is a very slow group now it is William Thomas 2010-05-13 18:02:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wow this is a very slow group now it is Jon Elson 2010-05-13 18:56:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wow this is a very slow group now it is Jon Elson 2010-05-13 19:01:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wow this is a very slow group now it is William Thomas 2010-05-14 15:51:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]thanks & more Jon Elson 2010-05-14 17:56:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]thanks & more William Thomas 2010-05-14 18:52:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DC motor Jon Elson 2010-05-14 21:06:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DC motor William Thomas 2010-05-14 22:30:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DC motor-Monday