CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DC motor

William Thomas wrote:
> What I am wondering about now is how to get the motor up and running at some speed so that I can just start to check some of the other systems out. Then after I have the basic lathe running I can start to work out the NC control system and the changes he made before I get into the drive motor control. Thanks for all your time and help. I didn't get to see you at NAMES this year. Are you coming to the CNC Workshop in Ann Arbor?

I have a bunch of work here, so I had to skip NAMES this year. I was a
little worried about the smaller venue, also. I definitely will be at
the CNC Workshop, though!

My guess, knowing almost nothing about the Cadillac lathes, is that they
probably also use field weakening plus armature control.
I suspect it might not be a real big problem to find drives for this,
especially if you were to get separate drives for the field and armature
and control them through two analog outputs from the CNC control.

Now, maybe they are not using field weakening, and any standard Baldor
or similar DC drive will work. As for just spinning the motor, you
could probably apply rectified mains AC for the field winding (check the
voltage first, but they usually are either 90 or 180 VDC).
Then, you could apply a car battery to the armature winding and spin it
slowly. Of course, you really need to read the nameplate on the motor
to know for sure what it really takes.

John 2010-05-13 12:10:11 UTC Wow this is a very slow group now it is William Thomas 2010-05-13 18:02:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wow this is a very slow group now it is Jon Elson 2010-05-13 18:56:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wow this is a very slow group now it is Jon Elson 2010-05-13 19:01:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Wow this is a very slow group now it is William Thomas 2010-05-14 15:51:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]thanks & more Jon Elson 2010-05-14 17:56:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]thanks & more William Thomas 2010-05-14 18:52:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DC motor Jon Elson 2010-05-14 21:06:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DC motor William Thomas 2010-05-14 22:30:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DC motor-Monday