CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router

Posted by David Speck
on 2010-06-17 05:43:48 UTC
Dear First,

Looks like a sweet chunk of machinery, at a decent price. There appear
to be 6 servo outputs from the control box, and 4 axes implemented in
the actual machine.

Big problem is that the controller is labeled in Japanese. You would
have to see if you can get any info about the controller from the
company, since the servo amps and controllers are internal to the master
control box.

There may not be an easy way to tap into the step and direction signals
between the integrated control computer and the servo amps. In other
words, the integration between the internal control computer and the
servo amps may be too tight to allow you to insert your own signals
without a major rebuild of the controller. As recently mentioned on one
of the CNC fora, every servo manufacturer has its own proprietary
designs for encoder feedback, and some of them are incomprehensibly
complex.

Other issue is what you had in mind to do with the machine. It doesn't
look like it was designed for heavy duty lifting, so it might not be
rigid enough for routing anything more dense than Styrofoam.

My $0.02