CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router

Posted by firstyear55
on 2010-06-21 10:26:21 UTC
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your response its really appreciated.

Well the scary news is...I bought one.
Not that particular one, but pretty much the same; and luckily only for a third of the price!

Im not a pro by the way, so happy to be mistaken on this learning curve.. Im planning on making a DIY CNC using as many existing parts as possible with the aim of turning it into a super cheap 5-axis cnc muncher for wood and foam.

I've been doing a bit of research and they do seem to be very well made linear actuators, made to go all day every day.
Withstanding over 100kg force on each face; with speed/rapids measured in G's also possible (up to 1000mm/s?). So strong/fast.
Backlash is about 0.02 or 0.002 cant remember but good enough for me.

I did notice the lack of support on the X-axis so that will be one of the first "fix's".(would be funny if the wrong code sent the Z axis flying off the X handle).

But first things first I'm working on how to control the robot using G-CODE...eeek!

Apparently they can receive and follow ASCII code so that might be an in.

Or

I'm looking at either keeping the encoders, ripping out the existing driver board and finding another driver (gecko?)

Otherwise just ripping out the AC Servos and replacing them with a cheapo ebay 5-axis nema stepper motor and driver combo?

Any ideas.

Dont laugh, Im on a mission to make this work so if you have any ideas, let them rip as I'm going to need all the help I can get..

Cheers
Firstyear

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Mathison" <andrewdavid.mathison@...> wrote:

> I have (even as a Newbie) to agree. An arm that is only supported at one end is not going to be rigid enough for doing any work.....
>
> If you are OK with DIY tools for wood working, why not build your own FAR cheaper than $1,400....?
>
> Start by going here:-
>
> http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx
>
> I have built two machines using his excellent ideas as a basis......he inspired me completely.......
>
> Greetings from
>
> Andy Mathison

firstyear55 2010-06-17 01:02:07 UTC IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router David Speck 2010-06-17 05:43:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router Roland Jollivet 2010-06-17 07:27:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router Andrew Mathison 2010-06-18 05:45:21 UTC Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router firstyear55 2010-06-21 10:26:21 UTC Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router CNC 6-axis Designs 2010-06-21 11:57:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router