CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router

on 2010-06-21 11:57:14 UTC
Congrats on the new tool !

My suggestion:
First, try to get it going as cheap as possible.
Then you will be able to judge what you really want to do with it.

You have only 2 ways to save money in the long run.
Buy only industrial components- they will work with newer, bigger better
stuff, or ...
get a small one to get your feet wet, knowing that it may not do
"useful, productive" work.

I bought a little 7x lathe to start with and learn on, about 8 years ago.

I am now making my newish industrial 12x into a 7 axis horizontal
turning center...
I suspect I learned .. ;)
Big grin.

IMO, If you buy geckos, they will be useful down the road.
That money will not be wasted, even if you go into bigger stuff.
For example, I use servos on the big lathe (for 5 axis) and 2 little
steppers for the tilt-secondary axis with cheap 50$ gecko 251 stepper
drivers.
A 25$ nema 23 stepper works fine, when it moves only 16 degrees, slowly,
and that seldom, and uses a worm drive.

If you can afford it, the gecko 540 kit is an excellent package.
It is also pretty foolproof, and other options are likely to be more
expensive down the road.

There are many "right" roads ... and you need to balance you needs vs costs.
Many people will give you advice, and most of it will be pretty good,
these days.
the sota has advanced quite a bit.

> Hi Guys,
> Thanks for your response its really appreciated.
>
> Well the scary news is...I bought one.
> Not that particular one, but pretty much the same; and luckily only
> for a third of the price!
>
> Im not a pro by the way, so happy to be mistaken on this learning
> curve.. Im planning on making a DIY CNC using as many existing parts
> as possible with the aim of turning it into a super cheap 5-axis cnc
> muncher for wood and foam.
>
> I've been doing a bit of research and they do seem to be very well
> made linear actuators, made to go all day every day.
> Withstanding over 100kg force on each face; with speed/rapids measured
> in G's also possible (up to 1000mm/s?). So strong/fast.
> Backlash is about 0.02 or 0.002 cant remember but good enough for me.
>
> I did notice the lack of support on the X-axis so that will be one of
> the first "fix's".(would be funny if the wrong code sent the Z axis
> flying off the X handle).
>
> But first things first I'm working on how to control the robot using
> G-CODE...eeek!
>
> Apparently they can receive and follow ASCII code so that might be an in.
>
> Or
>
> I'm looking at either keeping the encoders, ripping out the existing
> driver board and finding another driver (gecko?)
>
> Otherwise just ripping out the AC Servos and replacing them with a
> cheapo ebay 5-axis nema stepper motor and driver combo?
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Dont laugh, Im on a mission to make this work so if you have any
> ideas, let them rip as I'm going to need all the help I can get..
>
> Cheers
> Firstyear
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>, "Andrew Mathison"
> <andrewdavid.mathison@...> wrote:
> >
> > I have (even as a Newbie) to agree. An arm that is only supported at
> one end is not going to be rigid enough for doing any work.....
> >
> > If you are OK with DIY tools for wood working, why not build your
> own FAR cheaper than $1,400....?
> >
> > Start by going here:-
> >
> > http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx
> >
> > I have built two machines using his excellent ideas as a
> basis......he inspired me completely.......
> >
> > Greetings from
> >
> > Andy Mathison

firstyear55 2010-06-17 01:02:07 UTC IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router David Speck 2010-06-17 05:43:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router Roland Jollivet 2010-06-17 07:27:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router Andrew Mathison 2010-06-18 05:45:21 UTC Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router firstyear55 2010-06-21 10:26:21 UTC Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router CNC 6-axis Designs 2010-06-21 11:57:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: IAI ISA Linear Actuator 4-Axis Robot - into a CNC router