CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Interfacing VFD with a carriage stop switch on a lathe

Posted by rosnekcaj
on 2010-07-18 05:53:49 UTC
Thanks for your reply, Jon. Yes, I realize if I had originally set the unit up with a remote control panel the "brake-to-stop" would not be a problem. Just wire it and program it as you suggested.

At this point it is not worth designing and building and mounting a new control panel and then rewiring all. Particularly if all that needs to be done is mount an adjustable switch on the bed of the lathe, run 2 wires to it from the terminal block of the VFD and reprogram it as required.

rosnekcaj

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

> rosnekcaj wrote:
> > More detailed information:
> > I am using the GE-Fuji AF-300VFD on my South Bend 10 hvy lathe. I'm trying to figure out how to interface an adjustable stop switch that detects carriage position. According to the manual there is a function provided (E2-7) "Coast-to-stop". What I'm really after is "Brake-to-stop". I am using the built-in keypad to run the lathe. Had I set it up and ran it from a remote control panel, it would have been simple to wire in the auxiliary switch in series with the run command signal and thereby getting a braked stop. Or a switch wired in parallel with the key pad's stop switch would do the task, but I'd prefer not modifying the unit since the 2 wires or contacts I'm after are not unavailable externally.
> >
> > I can program the unit to interface with a remote control panel or its own self contained keypad but not both simultaneously. Unless I find a solution, I'll have to be satisfied with the "Coast-to-stop" function. Any suggestions?
> >
> If the unit can be set up for a 2-button control, there is a NO button
> to start and an NC button to stop.
> Wire the stop switch so it is normally closed, and in series with your
> control panel switch. You may just have
> to set up an external control panel and put it on a convenient place on
> the lathe.
> You can probably set a deceleration rate and a min frequency to engage
> DC braking. You may also have
> to add a braking resistor.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

rosnekcaj 2010-07-14 19:41:32 UTC Interfacing VFD with a carriage stop switch on a lathe rosnekcaj 2010-07-17 13:31:18 UTC Re: Interfacing VFD with a carriage stop switch on a lathe Jon Elson 2010-07-17 14:09:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Interfacing VFD with a carriage stop switch on a lathe rosnekcaj 2010-07-18 05:53:49 UTC Re: Interfacing VFD with a carriage stop switch on a lathe