CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise?

on 2011-01-30 08:18:19 UTC
We had a manual CMM machine in the lab (at the university where I work)
until a few years ago. It was an older Brown & Sharpe that had a dedicated
controller rather than being PC based. I had to replace one of the axis
encoders (just the sensor part of the 'scale') and as I recall it was rather
fiddly business to get aligned and calibrated just right (requires an oscope
to do so.) The cost of the sensor was around $400 as I recall.

On a used machine I would also be concerned about the probe head (is it in
good shape), if the air is ever removed before locking the Z-axis the probe
can fall and be damaged. Also be sure the probe takes standard tips. Oh yes,
it should have a calibration reference too, usually a sphere. A good shop
will keep this type of equipment professionally calibrated and there would
be a sticker on it showing the last calibration date.

Jeff Birt

Soigeneris.com

From: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of timgoldstein
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:38 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise?

Anyone on the list have experience with using either manual or DCC CMM
machines? For this not following the acronyms, CMM is a Coordinated
Measuring Machine. DCC is a automatic/CNC type of these machines.

Shopping around for one now and have no experience with one, just know that
if you can't measure it you can't machine it. At this point I think I like
the Wenzel German made machines because they use all Renishaw scales and
probes, are granite based, and seem to have more direct support with the
self owned US seller.

Any ideas, suggestions, or input for someone that know nothing about a CMM,
but is looking to buy?

Thanks,
Tim Goldstein
A2Z Corp
A2Z CNC division
3955 S Mariposa St
Englewood CO 80110
720 833-9300
Toll Free 877 754-7465

www.A2ZCorp.us/store
USA made accessories for desktop mills & lathes.
Specialized No Mar tools for the jewelry industry.

timgoldstein 2011-01-30 07:37:55 UTC CMM advise? Michael Fagan 2011-01-30 07:47:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise? Ron Thompson 2011-01-30 08:06:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise? Jeffrey T. Birt 2011-01-30 08:18:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise? timgoldstein 2011-01-30 10:40:36 UTC Re: CMM advise?