CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CMM advise?

Posted by timgoldstein
on 2011-01-30 10:40:36 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:
> A place I used to work had a faro arm that was pretty accurate.
> http://www.faro.com

Ron,
Thanks for the input. That is actually what I started looking at. But the difference in precision and accuracy compared to a traditional bridge type CMM is a factor of 10. Basically the Faro arm is good if you are happy with .001" and does have the advantages of allowing in machine inspection. But a a decent CMM can do .0001" easily.

The other thing that is an issue with the arm is they are far more maintanence intensive to keep accuracy which really means a $3K or so annual contract. Plus there is lots more chance for a whoops that then cost big dollars just because of the portability and the overall design.

So while I thought an arm would be just what I needed, I think research has pointed me to them being more of a specialty item and not the best choice for our first step into a real metrology product.

Thanks,
Thanks,
Tim Goldstein
A2Z Corp
A2Z CNC division
3955 S Mariposa St
Englewood CO 80110
720 833-9300
Toll Free 877 754-7465

www.A2ZCorp.us/store
USA made accessories for desktop mills & lathes.
Specialized No Mar tools for the jewelry industry.

Discussion Thread

timgoldstein 2011-01-30 07:37:55 UTC CMM advise? Michael Fagan 2011-01-30 07:47:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise? Ron Thompson 2011-01-30 08:06:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise? Jeffrey T. Birt 2011-01-30 08:18:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CMM advise? timgoldstein 2011-01-30 10:40:36 UTC Re: CMM advise?