CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [9x20Lathe] Re: OT Prusa Mendel build page 8 is up.

Posted by Ron Thompson
on 2011-10-16 04:56:03 UTC
On 10/16/2011 7:18 AM, dornpeterson wrote:
> Ron
>
> I have hesitated to reply to this and earlier messages in the same
> vein because I do appreciate all that I have learned from these groups
> and online due to the postings of volunteers. Now that I am retired I
> hope that I can give back something to the the community in a similar
> vein.
>
> But I really think that broadcasting these repeated OT posts to
> multiple news groups in inappropriate. The ones that I have noticed
> are below. I suppose there are others that I don't subscribe to.
>
> hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>
> gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:gingery_machines%40yahoogroups.com>
> CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>
> castinghobby@yahoogroups.com <mailto:castinghobby%40yahoogroups.com>
> 9x20Lathe@yahoogroups.com <mailto:9x20Lathe%40yahoogroups.com>
> hobby_cad@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hobby_cad%40yahoogroups.com>
> HomeFoundry_and_Casting@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:HomeFoundry_and_Casting%40yahoogroups.com>
> Prints_and_Plans@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Prints_and_Plans%40yahoogroups.com>
> taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
>
> You obviously realize that these are OT posts because of your title
> "OT Prusa Mendel build page 8 is up".
>
> Don't you think you have let everybody who might be interested know
> about your series by now. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to have an
> RSS feed or a method for people to subscribe? Given that these posts
> are on a site where you carry on commercial activity, one might almost
> think you were just doing this to drive traffic to your site.
> Please stop the multiple posts.
>
> Dorn Peterson
Dorn,
Thanks for your comments.
My site is hand written, not a blog. It doesn't have RSS. I have been
looking for a way to do it, but have yet to succeed. Do you know how to
add it?
I asked before if anyone objected after receiving one other complaint. I
got no responses.
In 8 announcements, this is the second one. I have lost count of the
positive comments and the urges to continue.
I agree RSS would be better. You may have noticed I missed a day in
announcing. That day got almost no hits.
Yes, there are Google ads on the site. They make a few dollars, but are
certainly not compensation for the time or materials used in the
projects. The ad revenue has spiked with this series, but is still less
than a meal at a cheap restaurant per day. This spike indicates to me
the interest of the readers.
The fact that we read many of the same groups exacerbates your
perception because you see it multiple times. In fact, I'd bet many do.
The reason it has OT in the subject line even on groups where it may be
on topic is for the purpose of filtering. Many people add a filter to
their mail readers to delete anything with OT in the subject line. This
may be one reason I have only received two complaints.
If you need help adding such a filter, I'd be glad to help.
How about it, anyone else have an opinion?

--

Ron Thompson

Will write HTML for ad clicks.

http://www.ourcadguy.com/

Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

Ron Thompson 2011-10-16 04:56:03 UTC Re: [9x20Lathe] Re: OT Prusa Mendel build page 8 is up.