CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: reprat build started

Posted by Dan Field
on 2011-10-20 18:14:32 UTC
Well, if speed is the issue how about Servo Belts? 2 meters/sec !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJoVh6DRPA&NR=1

Then of course speed is nice but if you are just making something for
yourself as a hobby is there a problem doing it slowly? Is there some
minimum magic number the melted product needs to be put down at to stick
properly or is it just the need for speed?

Regards
Dan

On 10/12/2011 11:00 AM, Alan wrote:

> Yeah, as I've just discovered, they're moving MUCH faster than I had
> erroneously calculated! I've done moves (bragging rights) of over 100 IPM
> on my Sherline, but that certainly wouldn't be good for it. And these
> speeds are still probably too fast for my little PCB router.
>
> It's a shame that a similar-sized XYZ platform (Sherline or PCB mill)
> couldn't be used. And although I'd love the time and energy to design and
> build a similar-sized belt-driven platform, that's probably not going to
> happen. It would be nice to get away with a few experiments without buying
> all the CNC stuff all over...
>
> The Threaded-rod and plastic (extruded) parts SAE Prusa Mendel is a novel
> way of building a belt-driven platform, although I'd much rather just
> "frame
> up" a platform with aluminum stock and precision round ways (OK, maybe
> drill
> rod). 80/20 Aluminum extrusions would be a GREAT way to go!
>
> Not to slight what's been built, but too many RepRat followers are (in my
> opinion) "hung up" on the self-replicating dogma. While extruded parts
> might be fine for prototypes and simple low-stress parts, (I've seen and
> worked with parts made by the Dimension), I hardly think they are
> appropriate for production machines, even light-duty. I'll buy or hob the
> gears! Of course, this could all change! The produced parts could get much
> better in the next few years. And yes, it would be fun to "play around"
> with making prototype parts this way, although I'm more interested in
> making
> metal chips. <rant off/>
>
> Alan KM6VV

Alan 2011-10-12 11:00:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: reprat build started Mike Payson 2011-10-12 11:12:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: reprat build started Ron Thompson 2011-10-12 11:53:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: reprat build started Alan 2011-10-12 13:31:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: reprat build started Dan Field 2011-10-20 18:14:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: reprat build started Mike Payson 2011-10-20 20:26:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: reprat build started