CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD to G code help

Posted by Chuck Merja
on 2011-11-12 08:27:35 UTC
Well, I surely agree that we need more mentors (technical and nontechnical)
in FIRST www.usfirst.org <http://www.usfirst.org/> It is the coolest
program for attracting engineering types since President Kennedy stood at
Rice University in 1962 and announced that 'we were going to send a man to
the moon and return him safely'.

That 3D printer technology looks very interesting. I don't think there is a
limit to what parts could be built for an FRC bot - with obvious exceptions
of electronics and motors. Any structural piece could be "printed". A few
years ago we were at a San Jose, Ca competition and there was a team from
Mojave (Bert Rutan country) that had a robot that was all composite! Pretty
cool.

Re what we are going to build - I do both FTC (limited to TETRIX - erector
set on steroids - and some plastic sheet as well as small aluminum pieces)
The kit has a specific bolt pattern on all the structural pieces which is
cool as far as it goes, but I want to create a few pieces that the kit
really needs. And I think that would be a good place to start with my kids
in CAD,CAM,CNC world. They would be small, not a lot of machining, and
maybe even added to future kits. The nonTetrix aluminum pieces are limited
to 1"x1x0.062(or maybe 0.125) angle, channel, flat, plus several plastics -
ABS, polycarbonate, kydex, . at up to 0.125" with max length of 24". In the
future, this could be amended to include max 0.060 (or whatever is
appropriate) ABS and ??? filament. This year one might get away with
arguing that the ABS in the 3D printed piece started as a 0.030"thick x24"
wide sheet of ABS that was slit into 24" pieces and fed into the 3D printer
- might be a tough sell :o))

Thanks again for suggestions.
We are working on some of the CAMs that have been suggested - fun stuff.

Chuck,

Please let me know what I can do to help. Vectric cut2D would be a good
choice to start. $149.00 is a good price. If you update to VcarvePro you
will get most of the $149 back. The students will take to Cut2D quickly. I
will pay the shipping. I have a copy here on a CD.

Please let me know what you plan on making for the contest. I am still
trying to find out what type of material I can machine for the students to
use. I have a very nice 2' by 3' router from www.xyzgantry.com . I try to
use it every day. I built my own controls. For this project I used the new
AC drives from www.homeshopcnc.com.

We need to get more of the users on the list to volunteer to become mentors
for their local high schools robotics contest.

Bob Campbell