CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: See the new PMDX-340 table-top CNC controller at Cabin Fever

Posted by morerust
on 2013-04-23 08:05:06 UTC
The 3D printing community and the hobby machine tool
community have different approaches to machine control.
Traditionally in the machine tool folks expect a full
GUI (graphical user interface) running on a PC. The GUI
shows current machine coordinates and frequently even
shows the tool path as the job is running. The machine
tool community used the name "controller for whatever
box runs the motors and connects the limit/home switches
and whatever. We are simply following that tradition.

The 3D printing community tends to only use the PC as
a way to send code to the machine. Originally most
machines were "spoon fed" with the PC staying in the
process and only sending data as needed. Some controllers
had problems with the communications with the PC failing
part way through the job and as a result, more and more
3D printer users switched to pre-loading all the needed
G-code onto an SD card and letting the controller proceed
without a PC involved. This solved the communications
issues, but gives the user a less visual interface for
controlling the machine.

Different strokes for different folks.

For what it is worth, the PMDX-340 does have a small
microprocessor internally and can generate movement
for test purposes without requiring a host PC.

Regards,
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Scott A Tovey <satovey@...> wrote:

> This does not strike me as qualifying as
> a controller. A controller does not need
> a PC running Mach3 to send it g-code.
>
> My PrintrBot which can run a code file
> from it's micro SD drive, and only needs
> the for the purpose of issuing the print
> from drive command, is closer to having
> an actual controller than what this thing
> is as the PC can be disconnected after the
> command has been issued.
>
> In a typical robotic controller setup, the program
> is uploaded to the controller from a computer.
> Then using a terminal that allows access to
> the controller, the run command is issued and
> the controller runs the selected program.
>
> In the case of this product, Mach3 is the actual
> controller, all this product has is a breakout
> board and drivers to run the motors.
>
> This device cannot run the program by itself
> and therefore should not be called a controller.
> It cannot control the CNC machine without being
> interfaced to a PC.
>

> Scott A. Tovey

Discussion Thread

morerust 2013-04-10 20:14:40 UTC See the new PMDX-340 table-top CNC controller at Cabin Fever William Thomas 2013-04-11 18:01:11 UTC ????: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] See the new PMDX-340 table-top CNC controller at Cabin Fever morerust 2013-04-16 11:55:58 UTC Re: ????: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] See the new PMDX-340 table-top CNC controller at Cabin Fever Scott A Tovey 2013-04-21 05:30:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] See the new PMDX-340 table-top CNC controller at Cabin Fever morerust 2013-04-23 08:05:06 UTC Re: See the new PMDX-340 table-top CNC controller at Cabin Fever Tom 2013-04-27 14:19:28 UTC Re: See the new PMDX-340 table-top CNC controller at Cabin Fever (OFF TOPIC)