CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: USGS data

on 2000-09-06 19:52:19 UTC
Fred -

I downloaded and tried the STLWorks app with STL files generated from Solid
Edge, but they would not open. No errors or messages, just lack of opening.
Any hints? I know the STL files are good, since I have made SLA's already
from them.

Carlos

> Hi Fred,
>
> I downloaded the StlTrans demo, and was able to load a .DEM file for a
> local QUAD. It displayed it quite nicely (actually, several that I have
> of the local area). I exported a .DXF, although it came out flat when I
> viewed it in Vector for some reason. I did not find a .DLG as an import
> file format, which would have been nice :>( I have seen a .DLG to .DXF
> file converter, which could also help. Not really sure where the "mesh"
> gets created from the .DEM (DLG?), so that output can be a raster (in
> StlWork?).
>
> Also tried the StlWork, but I have no .STL files! So I didn't get very
> far. I'll wait for a couple of weeks to ask STL questions, as I
> remember you were still evaluating/working on them. Anyway, I'm still
> looking/experimenting.
>
> Alan
>
> Fred Smith wrote:
> > >Message: 8
> > > Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 17:24:44 -0700
> > > From: Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
> > >Subject: Re: Re:StlWork
> >
> > >Some time ago I sent this message to several USGS sites, looking for
> > >information in understanding Hypsography data (DLG files). Do I
> > >understand that StlTrans and StlWork can convert the .DLG data into
> > >something useful for CNC?............
> >
> > Check the StlTrans demo. In the help file there is a LOT of
> info about file formats and what you can do with them. It does
> have the ability to create a mesh from some USGS data. The
> explanation is very detailed, with web links and specific
> instructions, and file format info. There is a picture on the
> StlTrans specs page of the Grand Canyon mesh that I scaled the Z
> x 10, as it appears in StlWork.
> >
> > http://www.stlwork.com

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2000-09-05 04:49:52 UTC Re: USGS data Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-09-05 11:45:27 UTC USGS data Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-09-06 17:13:48 UTC Re: USGS data Carlos Guillermo 2000-09-06 19:52:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: USGS data Fred Smith 2000-09-07 04:28:17 UTC Re: USGS data Fred Smith 2000-09-07 04:50:16 UTC Re: Re: USGS data