CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: USGS data

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2000-09-07 04:28:17 UTC
Message: 4
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:11:58 -0700
From: Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
Subject: Re: USGS data

>I downloaded the StlTrans demo,
snipped...
>Not really sure where the "mesh"
>gets created from the .DEM (DLG?), so that output can be a raster (in
>StlWork?).

StlWork is NOT a raster program, but rather works with 3D triangular meshes in STL files. The cutting strategy that is uses is called raster, in that it is a simple back and forth in X or Y, accompanied by a change in Z. This is the same way that raster images are formed in computer graphics, except that the variation is color codes, rather than Z depth.

The DEM processor in StlTrans converts a DEM file which is a raster image into a 3D mesh representation, which you save as a DXF or STL file. Follow the help instructions and you will be able to create some very interesting 3D stl models

>Also tried the StlWork, but I have no .STL files! So I didn't get very
>far. I'll wait for a couple of weeks to ask STL questions, as I
>remember you were still evaluating/working on them. Anyway, I'm still
>looking/experimenting.

StlTrans has 3 or 4 ways that it can generate 3D stl models for you.

The GIS data from DEM for contour maps.
It has a Raster to Vector translator (.bmp) that will translate a picture into a 3D model. Check out .bmp to dem for this one.
3D extrusion of tru-type text, actual or stencil. (Sample stl file on the web site)
3D beveling of tru-type fonts (Sample of this on the web site too.)
3D beveling of other closed shapes

The bevel profiles and outlines to be extruded, can be drawn in Vector and applied in StlTrans. I hope to have tutorials of all these on our web site within the next few weeks.

All these forms will allow you to save a STL file that can be processed in StlWork and machined on a 3 axis mill or router.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService
Listserve Special discounts and offers are at: http://209.69.202.197/cadcamedmdro.html

imserv@... Voice:248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670 Fax: 248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2000-09-05 04:49:52 UTC Re: USGS data Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-09-05 11:45:27 UTC USGS data Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-09-06 17:13:48 UTC Re: USGS data Carlos Guillermo 2000-09-06 19:52:19 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: USGS data Fred Smith 2000-09-07 04:28:17 UTC Re: USGS data Fred Smith 2000-09-07 04:50:16 UTC Re: Re: USGS data