CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Toroidal Bore, Revisited

on 2000-09-07 08:04:48 UTC
Joe -

I think someone should talk to (shoot) the designer. It sounds
irresponsible &/or naive to design something so difficult to produce.
Almost sounds like an aerospace/medical/government project where $$ is not
an issue, and the designers often get used to not having to worry about how
the part gets made. Bill accordingly, they're used to it. On the other
hand, if the part is for yourself, forget everything I said.

Any reason the part couldn't be split into two halves? What's the part for,
anyway?

Lots of luck,
Carlos

Joe Vicars wrote:

> I am now tasked with designing and building a tool to produce a
> Toroidal chamber inside of a bore. I mentioned this a few weeks ago to
> the group but now it's for real. It is really a unique shape, I haven't
> been able to find any ready made tool that can do the job.
> I plan on making basically a concave radius cutter on the end of a
> massive boring bar. Actuated manually (for now) with a worm gear drive.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with making their own radius
> cutter? Advice or suggestions?
> CNC profiling is really not an option. After you do all the math
> for the entry and plunge depths, the tool ends up being too long and
> skinny to get a good surface finish.
>
> Wish me luck, I will post pictures when it is done, or I will post my
> resume.
>
> "Matters of great concern shall be treated lightly"

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-09-07 06:54:47 UTC Toroidal Bore, Revisited Carlos Guillermo 2000-09-07 08:04:48 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Toroidal Bore, Revisited dave engvall 2000-09-07 09:38:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Toroidal Bore, Revisited Ian Wright 2000-09-07 11:49:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Toroidal Bore, Revisited