CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE:Cad programs

Posted by Bob Campbell
on 2000-09-21 11:31:28 UTC

From: Fred Smith <imserv@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 9:40 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE:Cad programs

> >Message: 9
> > Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:50:00 -0500
> > From: "Bob Campbell" <bob@...>
> >Subject: Re: RE:Cad programs
>
> >You never seem to mention Rhino 3D. How does Amapi compare to Rhino?
Rhino
> >3D for $795 is a great price for a 3d modeling program.
> >

> Bob- I have used Rhino & was very active in the early beta releases. When
I was evaluating software to recommend with Vector and StlWork, I wanted
certain characteristics. Of all the programs that I evaluated Rhino and
Amapi were the 2 that best fit my needs. Both were very useful tools, Amapi
was 1/2 the retail price of Rhino & actually had some features that Rhino
didn't seem to support at the time (internet model distribution, EZ
wireframe to solid model, smoothing). Both support Microscribe, have
excellent web sites, networks of users, and on-line tutorials, etc.

> I have 3 problems with Rhino
>
> 1) McNeal and assoc are a very large Autocad dealer/VAR, They won't
compete with Autocad, and even worse they made the Rhino interface similar
to Autocad. This arrangement leaves a bad taste in my mouth, because I
dislike the Autocad interface.

> 2) Rhino does a lot of things that I want to do. However it also does a
LOT of things that I will never want to do & wish they would not have
cluttered up the program with. Amapi fits my personal needs a lot better.

> 3) I am not personally comfortable with Rhino. My usage of a solid
modeler is intermittent, just like my usage of a Cad-Cam program. I put it
down & come back 2 weeks later to continue a project that has been in the
works for 6 months. With Rhino I have to relearn the darned program every
time. Just like Autocad, it does not work the way I think. Maybe that's my
handicap, maybe I'm just spoiled by Vector. At any rate I have spent
probably 150-200 hours with Rhino and 1/2 that with Amapi. My grasp of
Amapi is such that I can actually make models that are usable. My Rhino
retention is zip.

> Rhino has excellent bidirectional IGES translators. It is worth it to buy
Rhino just for access to these.

> Last thing about why I did not go with Rhino. The people at TGS, the
company that distributes Amapi, are extremely workable. They are more
oriented to the retail/personal/home market, than the commercial/industrial
buyers. They have gone out of their way to accommodate our requirements for
bundling Amapi with StlWork, the number one criteria for that, after
functionality and fitness, being price.

> > From: dougrasmussen@...
> >Subject: Re: RE:Cad programs
>
> >Are you familiar with a program called 3D-Studio (or was it 3D-
> >Designer?) I have a customer who is a well known artist specializing
> >in large scale outdoor public art. He uses 3D-"whatever" in his
> >design and presentations. His computer guy gave me a demonstration
> >which I thought was impressive. Probably fairly expensive?
> >
> I have not used 3D-Studio. It is a high end program with many well heeled
users. It is known for having produced some of the better animations and
special effects in the movie industry. Both Amapi & StlTrans can import and
process files made with 3D-Studio.

> >Also, have you ever looked at VisualCad which now owned by IMSI?
> >I've found it easy to use.
>
> I have not. The problem for me, with Visual Cad is that it does not
receive very much ongoing development and enhancement. Also IMSI(who also
sells Turbocad) is just barely dragging itself out of bankruptcy. I don't
think they offer a lot product support for Visual Cad, especially when it is
a competitor to Turbocad.

http://209.69.202.197/cadcamedmdro.html