CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:OK - you convinced me - was "Automated "Manual CNC"

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-10-06 11:34:11 UTC
Brian Collier wrote:

> In that case, use preloaded nuts to eliminate backlash. But as in the
> question before, the inaccuracies in the leadscrew still shouldn't
> matter, right?

I dont think the inaccuracies in a leadscrew make any diference under
any conditons of 'home brew' CNC. If you are making parts where greater
accuracy than common screw threads offer is needed, you ought to be
using big money commercial equipment.

Ordinary rolled thread screw stock is usually under .003" per foot
accuracy. Ive got a good Mitutoyo caliper, and I dont read accurately to
within a few thou on large- 4-5 inch- measurements.

Be very careful you dont mislead your self on accuracy vs precision,
remember even digital watchs can have the wrong time, even if very
precisely wrong.

If I follow your thread here you are talking about a home brew system
with common leadscrews and measuring with caliper type encoders. I
suspect most screw stock is at lest as accurate, maybe better, than a
common electronic caliper.

To my view doing anything like this is a big waste- build a simple XY
table with stepper motors and get on with making parts. Unless writing
intereting software is what you really want to do.

ron

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-10-06 07:36:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: re:OK - you convinced me - was "Automated "Manual CNC" Brian Collier 2000-10-06 11:08:57 UTC Re: re:OK - you convinced me - was "Automated "Manual CNC" Ron Ginger 2000-10-06 11:34:11 UTC Re:OK - you convinced me - was "Automated "Manual CNC" dave engvall 2000-10-06 16:05:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: re:OK - you convinced me - was "Automated "Manual CNC" William Scalione 2000-10-06 21:45:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: OK - you convinced me - was "Automated "Manual CNC" Jon Elson 2000-10-06 21:55:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: re:OK - you convinced me - was "Automated "Manual CNC"