CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: LINUX/EMC Help

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-02 18:53:36 UTC
I ran into the same problem when I first got started with Matt's and Jon's
help. The way I cured the problem was to create a new file by cutting the
contents of Matt's run.64step378 file and pasting it into the Xwindow EMAC
and saving the file. Then logged in as root and in the directory the file
resides in do:
chmod filename o+x
Some where along the way i did a chmod 777 as detailed below in a message
Matt sent me as I was setting up. These took care of my startup problems
once I had the memory settings correct.

From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>

> Thank you for your instruction sheet on setting up the rt patch and
> installing EMC. With your help I now seem to have rtlinux running.
>
> I seem to be having a problem with the EMC part though. I followed your
> directions and when I execute run.64step378 I get a message "Permission
> Denied". Also, if I try run.stepper I see on the command line emc start,
but
> then I get an error message that the stepper module file does not exist.
> When I look under the plat directory I have the rtlinux, linux2.0.36, and
if
> I remember correctly the documentation directory, but they are all empty.
Is
> it possible that I got a bad .tgz file or are the files for these
> directories in a separate download.

The permission denied problem can be cured by doing:

cd /usr/local/nist/emc
chmod 777 run.64step378

Do a 'man chmod' for more info on this command, but essentially you are
giving yourself permission to execute this script file. The reason I
supplied this script is that the scripts (like run.stepper) that come with
the distribution aren't correct in several respects:

1. They don't load the schedule module.
2. The directories for the RT modules are wrong.

Start up two terminal windows, cd to /usr/local/nist/emc and do 'less
run.64step378' in one and 'less run.stepper' in the other. Scroll through
the files and compare the lines that start with:

insmod ...

You'll see the differences right away. If you still have trouble with
run.64step378 once you change the file permissions as above then check to
make sure that the files referenced by the insmod lines actually exist. By
the way, you need to be logged in as root to run the EMC program.
If you have any other problems just call or write. If it works I'd love to
hear about that as well...

Matt Shaver

Please give Matt the kudo's for the blow by blow setup instructions. All I
did was add a few observations.

Tim
[Denver, CO]