CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] maxnc/sherline

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2000-10-12 12:08:20 UTC
tauseef wrote:

> I would be interested in speaking with anyone that has made the maxnc
> 70 oz/in motors work on there sherline 5400 mill, especially the Z-
> axis.

I adapted a Sherline DC motor to my MaxNC (and later, a Sherline
spindle which required a decent block of aluminum to space the spindle
out properly.) The stock motor would barely handle the load, and only at
slow feedrates. I added a constant force spring to assist, and that made
it workable. Constant force springs are flat spring steel that want to
stay rolled up. Pull out the free end, it will try to roll back up with
a very constant force, thus the name. They also do not suffer from
stiction like like gas-assist cylinders, nor add mass like
counterweights.
Small Parts carries a small selection, but Reid Tool is where I got
mine.
Folks at MaxNC must be wizards, as lots of mere mortals seem unable to
duplicate some of their successes....

Anyway, more powerful motors will cure the problem.

tauseef 2000-10-12 10:28:00 UTC maxnc/sherline Ron Ginger 2000-10-12 10:49:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] maxnc/sherline Jon Anderson 2000-10-12 12:08:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] maxnc/sherline Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-12 12:31:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] maxnc/sherline Tim Goldstein 2000-10-12 15:26:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] maxnc/sherline