CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Programming a DRO

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 1999-07-06 23:03:45 UTC
> From: <blinda@...>
>
> I wrote a program
> to read the dxf file and produce the m and g codes for my machine. The
> program is simple minded but works pretty well for my purposes. I had
> planned to make several improvements before offering it for use by others
> but I'm not not optimistic I'll do that now. If you or anyone else on
> the list are interested I can make it available.

I'd be interested in seeing this, manly as a tutorial on the innards of .DXF
file structure! I'm wondering if .DXF is consistent between Cad programs, or
if their is a core set of entities and functions that everyone supports plus
a bunch of platform specific garbage that would need filtering out. It looks
like .DXF is going to stay THE data interchange standard for CAD data in the
real world, although I had high hopes for VRML taking over this role at one
time. IGES was also a promising standard before it went "Hollywood" as STEP.
See this site for the last public definition of this once useful standard:

http://www.iges5x.org/

Thanks,

Matt Shaver

Discussion Thread

Matt Shaver 1999-07-06 23:03:45 UTC Re: Programming a DRO John Craddock 1999-07-07 06:06:41 UTC Re: Programming a DRO Randy Lee 1999-07-07 08:57:37 UTC Re: Programming a DRO