CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: virtual hand jive and human factors

on 2000-11-08 16:13:15 UTC
Alan B,

From a previous post, I was thinking of using a TSR to get encoder
pulses into "jog keys". Nothing written yet! We were talking about a
pendent with axis selection and encoder(s) and 20-key keypad. Also a
4-line LCD. What PIC did you use? I'd be interested in seeing what
you've done. Good to hear that CNCpro does "legal" DOS/BIOS calls for
keys. I wonder if MaxNC does as well?

I added a shaft encoder to the code I wrote to move my new Sherline
rotary table last night, and got it moving the table. Whew! .000125
(1/8000) move per "tick" of the encoder is S.L.O.W.! Even making it
.001 per tick is still slow. So I need to work on bigger jogs, and
acceleration. I'm having the same problem with the keyboard "jog"
keys. I need a way to start a move, and continue as long as keys or
encoder pulses are arriving. But it's interesting!

Please tell more about your PIC project!

Alan KM6VV

> Alan KM6VV wrote:
>I'm not sure yet if I want to do the TSR thing to "translate" encoder
>pulses into key codes for the keyboard buffer, but if I do (for >programs
>that I DON'T have the source code for), then the TSR will probably >work
>at the same "level" as the INT 9 keyboard interrupt, and the "codes" I
>generate are simple ASCII into the BIOS' keyboard buffer at 40:1A &
>40:1C (pointers to actual buffer).
>
>If one chooses to "parallel" another (modified) keypad with the >existing
>keyboard, then scan-codes are sure to apply.

Simon Fraser University? BC?