CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Cheap Encoders

Posted by Jim GREGG
on 1999-07-15 21:46:39 UTC
Re the cable drive toan encoder-

There is a commercial unit on the Australian market with a spring tensioned
pulley system and a stainless wire attached to a point on the moving machine
element.

I was considering a scheme using a system I used on a servo driven chart
recorder when I was with NASA. This had a drum on the (shaft type) encoder
about 1" dia. with a coarse thread on it. The wire was clamped to the mid
point of the drum thread, and wound round the thread equally both ways. As
the cariage moved, the wire fed in on one end and off at the other, lying in
the thread groove, so stacking was eliminated, and the wire was clamped to
the drum so it could not slip.

Obviously there needs to be enough turns of thread on the drum to accomodate
twice the machine travel of wire with this arrangement.

By the way two Aust. electronics journals are running construction articles
on CNC machines - one a plotter/engraver, using a printer carriage mechanism
as the Y axis drive, and the other a printed circuit coordinate drilling rig
-2.5 or 3 axis.

Jim Gregg
W. Australia