CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[1]: emc really needs a copyleft cad/cam package

Posted by Jeff Barlow
on 2000-11-17 09:18:22 UTC
Terry,

Did you look at http://www.opencascade.com/ ? It's just the guts,
there's no GUI that I could find. The license looks GPL-ish but I didn't
study it in detail, not sure if it would be "RMS approved". Getting from
it's internal data structures to G-code might be a rather daunting task,
though.

Q-Cad is a nice little open source 2D package. The user interface
reminds me of Drafix (Hi, Anne), which I like a lot better than Autocad.
There is a CAM add-on for it to generate G-code, but it's not open
source. See: http://www.qcad.org/index.php3?body=main&product=qcad

And speaking of Autocad, there's always Intellicad:
http://www.intellicad.org/index.htm I can't say I like it, but it mostly
works, and there is a lot of working code available there.

Jeff

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:22:28 -0600 (CST), Terry L. Ridder wrote:

>hello;
>
>i looked at most of these packages/programs
>last night. brl-cad would be the best one
>to base any work however given the license
>that would not be possible.
>
>we need something that is released under
>the gnu general public license.
>
>any of the commercial programs but us right
>back dealing with the infamous "upgrade tax".
>also no chance to alter the program to meet
>individual needs/wants/requirements.

Discussion Thread

James Owens 2000-11-17 08:16:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[1]: emc really needs a copyleft cad/cam package dave engvall 2000-11-17 08:32:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[1]: emc really needs a copyleft cad/cam package Jeff Barlow 2000-11-17 09:18:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[1]: emc really needs a copyleft cad/cam package