CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[3]: axis naming conventions

Posted by Smoke
on 2000-11-22 11:09:07 UTC
Good thing you said "most" Terry! I have a 2D CAD program called Quick CAD
which is put out by
Auto Desk. The standard location for the XY axis it uses is the lower left
corner. BTW...Auto Desk is made by the same company that makes AutoCAD.
My 3D Rhino CAD program uses the center of the "page" as the starting point
for all three axiis. However, it provides the option of moving all three to
suit the user....including the option to move them to a totally different
plane!

The lower left is a more logical place to put the begining of the XY axis,
since it ensures all X Y directions will be positive. As a machine designer
most of my drawings which used a "0-0" origin point were done that way.
Using the upper left corner for the origin point did not begin until CNC
machines were designed using "bass ackwards" conventions decided upon by a
group of supposed "engineers".

In regards to Ballendo's post about axis naming: With the advent of PC
usage in the CNC field, it would seem to me a TRULY INTELLIGENT programmer
could write a user friendly program to do exactly that! The user could name
them "horizontal X, horizontal Y, vertcal Z, rotational A, rotational B,
rotational C, turret M, turret N, turret P, etc. I have a 12 axis machine
already designed and am detailing the parts now. Someone....I forget
who....mentioned having a 12 axis G code program in the works. I would
definitely like to see user friendly programing built into it!

By the way....just because the "standard" says which G code "goes" with
which axis, doesn't mean some one can't hard wire the machine controllers to
negate the "standards". Besides....all the G code programming used by
various manufacturers is NOT the same. Many ofg them use proprietary G
codes in addition to the "standards".

Incidently Dave, the 12 axis machine I metioned above is "basically"
exactly the type of machine (lathe mounted on a mill) I described earlier.
Fortunately it is designed much better than the lathe I have (an EMCO) which
has a "mill" attached to the back as an "afterthought. It it also designed
a lot better than the Shopsmith and Shoptask 3 on one machines (which are
simply someone else's "better idea" over the EMCO machines. It may be
"wierd" but new ideas usually are...until they become widely accepted.
Welcome to my "wierd" world Dave!

Maybe I'm as out of date as my Machinery Handbook (edition 21), since CNC
axis convention isn't even mentioned in it.

Right hand rules...speaking of fingers......welll...enuf said! :)

I'll have to disagree with Jon a bit about lathe programs taking a 2D part
and converting it to 3D. Granted, that is the primary function, but CNC
lathe work is capable of "turning" cams and other irregular "cylindrical"
shapes. Due to the irregular nature (out of round) of these shapes these
parts are much more easily drawn (and visualized) using 3D.

Well, I guess that takes care of all the mails for this AM. Have a nice
Thanksgiving everyone.

Smoke