CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system.

Posted by Jeff Golias
on 2000-12-08 12:00:22 UTC
Hi Alan,

So what you're saying is...
Sherline mill w/ CNC mounts
??? motor / driver hardware (Flashcut or ???)
CNCPro driver software
Vector CAD/CAM software

Is this correct???

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>
wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> If you can swing the FlashCut, I sure would! Drivers are separate
from
> the signal generator. CNCpro would also be a good choice. Then
you'll
> need a CAM program. I'd recommend Vector CAD/CAM. Do the job
there,
> export g-code file for FlashCut or CNCpro, and away you go! You can
> import .DXF files into Vector (or similar, like BobCad), from
AutoCAD if
> you want. But you cut out a step using a CAD/CAM package to start
with.

> I'd LOVE to get a look at FlashCut hardware for about a week!
>
> From AutoCad to Gcode, you could use the Ace converter that Yeager
> (CNCpro) has.
>
> Alan KM6VV
>
> Hope I've helped
>

> Jeff Golias wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is my first post here. I've read MOST of the archived posts
and
> > wanted to solicit some specific opinions from those who have been
> > doing small home/hobby CNC work for a while.
> >
> > Here's the scoop. I am just starting to put together a setup and
> > don't have a lot of knowlege or any experience w/ milling or CNC.
> > But, I do have a design in my head and want to go in to "limited
> > (<100 pcs)" production to test it's market appeal. The parts I've
> > imagined are no bigger than 2"hx2"wx4"l. I've, pretty much,
decided
> > to go with a Sherline CNC setup. I'm familiar with the mods that
> > have been discussed on the list. I want a turnkey CNC package to
fit
> > on the Sherline that is known to work. I will need a CAD and CAM
> > package. I have AutoCAD 14 already and have an oppourtunity to
buy
> > Mechanical Desktop and/or Inventor 3 for a very reasonable
price. I
> > have, almost, no experience with any CAD software.
> >
> > So the questions are...
> > 1. What CNC package to go with. (I'm not really all that
impressed
> > by the FlashCut system because of its closed architecture)
> > 2. Does anyone have experience w/ Mech. Desktop or Inventor 3?
If
> > so, what do you think?
> > 3. I've been looking at CNCpro and like it's approach. Is this a
> > good choice, and if so, what converter do I need to move the
design
> > from the AutoDesk software to CNCpro. Will I have problems in 2D
> > 3D translation.
> >
> > I thank you for your thoughtful opinions and time.

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-12-08 11:29:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system. Joe Vicars 2000-12-08 11:31:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system. Jeff Golias 2000-12-08 11:56:57 UTC Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system. Jeff Golias 2000-12-08 12:00:22 UTC Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system. Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-12-08 15:13:52 UTC Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system. Tim Goldstein 2000-12-08 18:25:35 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system. tauseef 2000-12-08 21:31:30 UTC Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system.