CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system.

Posted by tauseef
on 2000-12-08 21:31:30 UTC
Hi Jeff
Alan has given some great advice and great links! I also have a
sherline 5410 model. I am using the sherline motor mounts and they
are excellent quality and beautiful! I am using Sanyo Denki bipolar
double shaft 180 oz motors and have not had a problem moving any of
the axis. I plan to added some springs to help with the z axis but
this is personal preference. I am using Dans Camtronics 3 axis 2 amp
board, Yeagers Ace converter (for DXF to G-code) and Yeager CNCpro
(to drive the machine) with Excellent results! The machine is very
quick and smooth. You will also need a transformer 24v 10amp (12-0-12)
(here is another link www.mpja.com), a 15,000 uF capacitor, a 400v 25
amp bridge, and a cooling fan. I am using drafix cad for the drawings
right now and playing around with turbocad. This should get you
started. I have increased my voltage to 24 volts to the Camtronics
board (you will need to make larger heat sinks and HAVE a cooling
fan). With this setup (and reading off of the CNCpro screen) you can
expect around 30-35in/min (855ish mm/min) movement.
take care
taus

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>
wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> You've got it!
>
> 1. The Sherline CNC motor mounts are the BEST I've seen.
>
> 2. Sherline or Sanyo Densi Stepper Motors (or Camtronics).
> http://www.mendonet.com/steppers/nema23.htm
> http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/
>
> 3. Flashcut controller software & SigGen box,
> http://www.flashcutcnc.com/index.html
> -OR-
> 3. CNCpro controller software.
> http://www.yeagerautomation.com/
>
> 4. Camtronics for driver hardware. (FlashCut has also)
>
> 5. Power supply (various).
>
> 6. Vector CAD/CAM software.
> http://www.imsrv.com/
>
> 7. Most Important! Stay tuned to this GREAT list!
>
> That's it!
> Alan KM6VV
>

> Jeff Golias wrote:
> >
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > So what you're saying is...
> > Sherline mill w/ CNC mounts
> > ??? motor / driver hardware (Flashcut or ???)
> > CNCPro driver software
> > Vector CAD/CAM software
> >
> > Is this correct???
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV
<KM6VV@a...>
> > wrote:
> > > Jeff,
> > >
> > > If you can swing the FlashCut, I sure would! Drivers are
separate
> > from
> > > the signal generator. CNCpro would also be a good choice. Then
> > you'll
> > > need a CAM program. I'd recommend Vector CAD/CAM. Do the job
> > there,
> > > export g-code file for FlashCut or CNCpro, and away you go!
You can
> > > import .DXF files into Vector (or similar, like BobCad), from
> > AutoCAD if
> > > you want. But you cut out a step using a CAD/CAM package to
start
> > with.
> > >
> > > I'd LOVE to get a look at FlashCut hardware for about a week!
> > >
> > > From AutoCad to Gcode, you could use the Ace converter that
Yeager
> > > (CNCpro) has.
> > >
> > > Alan KM6VV