CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I would like a opinion on setting up a complete small CNC system.

Posted by Jeff Golias
on 2000-12-08 11:56:57 UTC
Part of the reason for doing it this way is to get into this area.
I've got a number of ideas floating around upstairs and I would like
a way to test them out without the expense of prototyping them
through channels then going through revision after revision. Once
the design is done and tested true, cost reduction and selling the
design comes into play. I guess I would rather be able to draw up
something in the evening and cut it the next day.

That's half the fun anyway. Isn't it???

Thanks for the offer though.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Joe Vicars <jvicars@c...> wrote:
> Jeff
> I can quote the part for you, might be less than buying tools
and making it yourself. Unless that's what you want.
> Good luck
>
> Jeff Golias wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is my first post here. I've read MOST of the archived posts
and
> > wanted to solicit some specific opinions from those who have been
> > doing small home/hobby CNC work for a while.
> >
> > Here's the scoop. I am just starting to put together a setup and
> > don't have a lot of knowlege or any experience w/ milling or CNC.
> > But, I do have a design in my head and want to go in to "limited
> > (<100 pcs)" production to test it's market appeal. The parts I've
> > imagined are no bigger than 2"hx2"wx4"l. I've, pretty much,
decided
> > to go with a Sherline CNC setup. I'm familiar with the mods that
> > have been discussed on the list. I want a turnkey CNC package to
fit
> > on the Sherline that is known to work. I will need a CAD and CAM
> > package. I have AutoCAD 14 already and have an oppourtunity to
buy
> > Mechanical Desktop and/or Inventor 3 for a very reasonable
price. I
> > have, almost, no experience with any CAD software.
> >
> > So the questions are...
> > 1. What CNC package to go with. (I'm not really all that
impressed
> > by the FlashCut system because of its closed architecture)
> > 2. Does anyone have experience w/ Mech. Desktop or Inventor 3?
If