CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: re:smart box command set

on 2000-12-10 21:28:56 UTC
Hi,

Regards to the dumb/smart box. It's going to be like Burger King, you
will be able to have it your way. Provisions are being made to have a
microcomputer plug-in card. If it is totally dumb then this slot will
be a null card. If smart, then you will be able to plug a
microcomputer in it.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ballendo@y... wrote:
> Wally K wrote:
> >If you want to make the box smart, then make it smart. Start by
> >making it accept Gcodes and Mcodes. Use the machinery and tool
> >handbook for the command set and descriptions of commands. Later
> >add mfg specific Gcodes as required.
>
> Wally,
>
> This is a bad idea, IMO. Bad partitioning of the problem, as Jeff B
> might say. The gcodes are not well defined and standardised enough
> be a good command set. The specific source you mention, Machinerys'
> Handbook, is at least several years out of touch, even in their
> latest, 27th edition!
>
> In addition, I don't believe that we should be trying to make the
> smart box THAT smart. Doing so will exponentially increase the
time,
> effort, and confusion already inherant in a project such as this.
We
> already have a PC!
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo
>
> P.S. In every product, it is a good idea to find the "crossover"
> point where expenditure of resources stops having a direct
> relationship with results. In other words, the point where you stop
> getting out as much as you are putting in...
>
> Making a smart box that accepts G&M codes is just another way of
> saying make a CNC control. This CONSIDERABLY ups the 'ante' AND
> considerably reduces the benefits for a LARGE number of people, IMO.

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-12-10 20:12:40 UTC re:smart box command set Mariss Freimanis 2000-12-10 21:28:56 UTC Re: re:smart box command set Smoke 2000-12-10 22:33:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:smart box command set Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-12-11 11:08:33 UTC re:smart box command set ballendo@y... 2000-12-11 15:49:25 UTC re:re:smart box command set Doug Harrison 2000-12-11 20:09:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:re:smart box command set Brian Pitt 2000-12-11 23:49:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:re:smart box command set