CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches

Posted by Al Lenz
on 2001-01-10 21:08:18 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>
wrote:
> Ian,
>
> I'm not sure I see the distinction between watches and
clocks........

Alan, As an ex-watchmaker, that struck a nerve, but I wasn't sure why.
In thinking about it, I believe the distinction has to do with
position adjusting.
That is, a clock runs only in a fixed position, a watch doesn't.
A wrist watch, (old timey mechanical watches) were usually adjusted
to three positions; railroad watches to either five or six positions.
Of course, your best regulator pendulam clock won't compete at
all rotated 90 deg. to the horizontal, it won't even run. That's
also why the cheap Baby Ben clocks could be regulated to a fairly
good accuracy (gravity only in one direction). BUT the same 'works'
in a cheap dollar watch was hit or miss. Now and again one would
appear to keep perfect time. What happened is that all the variables
just happened to cancel out. That is, it may have lost 5 min a
day 'stem dowm' on the customer's wrist, then gained it back 'dial
up' on the nightstand. Just by chance. Now try to explain why your
17 jewel watch will do better, knowing it MIGHT not, but surely will
in the long haul.

I know I took this out of context, but knowing the intellect of the
list, thought it might be of interest.

I bet this is NOT the proper distinction between clocks and watches?
Fire away,
Al

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-10 17:05:12 UTC Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Al Lenz 2001-01-10 21:08:18 UTC Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-10 21:57:24 UTC Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Ian Wright 2001-01-11 02:26:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Ian Wright 2001-01-11 05:12:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches