CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches

on 2001-01-10 21:57:24 UTC
Al,

Thanks for additional info! I can really appreciate watches AND
clocks. I took enough apart when I was young!

The positions you mention, I hadn't thought about that. But I WAS
impressed by the Discovery channel piece on the timepiece for sailors!

Alan KM6VV

Al Lenz wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>
> wrote:
> > Ian,
> >
> > I'm not sure I see the distinction between watches and
> clocks........
>
> Alan, As an ex-watchmaker, that struck a nerve, but I wasn't sure why.
> In thinking about it, I believe the distinction has to do with
> position adjusting.
> That is, a clock runs only in a fixed position, a watch doesn't.
> A wrist watch, (old timey mechanical watches) were usually adjusted
> to three positions; railroad watches to either five or six positions.
> Of course, your best regulator pendulam clock won't compete at
> all rotated 90 deg. to the horizontal, it won't even run. That's
> also why the cheap Baby Ben clocks could be regulated to a fairly
> good accuracy (gravity only in one direction). BUT the same 'works'
> in a cheap dollar watch was hit or miss. Now and again one would
> appear to keep perfect time. What happened is that all the variables
> just happened to cancel out. That is, it may have lost 5 min a
> day 'stem dowm' on the customer's wrist, then gained it back 'dial
> up' on the nightstand. Just by chance. Now try to explain why your
> 17 jewel watch will do better, knowing it MIGHT not, but surely will
> in the long haul.
>
> I know I took this out of context, but knowing the intellect of the
> list, thought it might be of interest.
>
> I bet this is NOT the proper distinction between clocks and watches?
> Fire away,
> Al

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-10 17:05:12 UTC Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Al Lenz 2001-01-10 21:08:18 UTC Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-10 21:57:24 UTC Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Ian Wright 2001-01-11 02:26:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches Ian Wright 2001-01-11 05:12:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Digitizers, Renishaw, NOW Clocks/Watches