CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Aluminum cutting

Posted by Rose, Gary
on 2001-01-16 04:52:18 UTC
Roman/Lee,

I frequently cut aluminum using just a compound mitre saw (from Sears -
designed for wood cutting) and a carbide tipped blade. (This cuts 1/2"
plate like butter!). I have used the standard carbide blade (intended for
wood) but I would recommend purchasing the "aluminum cutting" carbide
version. The rake angles are more suitable. A word of caution though,
ALWAYS make sure that the work to be cut is held down (clamped) very
securely. You cannot hold it with your hand. If the work shifts, even a
little, you will break off every tooth on the saw. And probably be somewhat
damaged yourself by the flying bits.

Good luck
Gary

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:18:58 -0000
From: "Lee Studley" <indigo_red@...>
Subject: Re: Aluminium cutting

Hi Roman,

There was a good message a few months ago on aluminum cutting.
It was geared more toward using wood shop tools for aluminum.
I personally tried yesterday the BeesWax lubricant and a good
many-toothed carbide tipped blade in my compound miter saw and
was amazed at how well it worked with fairly thick stock!!!

I'll hunt down the exact message for you tonight.
-Lee

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Roman Black" <fastvid@e...>
wrote:
> Hi, I would like to ask a quick question,
> does anyone here cut aluminium with a
> belt driven machine (or other non-rigid
> router etc) If so, any comments on tool
> type or expert tips would be much
> appreciated. :o)
> -Roman

Discussion Thread

Rose, Gary 2001-01-16 04:52:18 UTC Re: Aluminum cutting ballendo@y... 2001-01-16 12:59:37 UTC re:Re: Aluminum cutting A. G. Eckstein 2001-01-16 15:11:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:Re: Aluminum cutting dave engvall 2001-01-16 20:46:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Aluminum cutting