CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

re:Re: Aluminum cutting

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-01-16 12:59:37 UTC
Gary R wrote:
>I have used the standard carbide blade (intended for
>wood) but I would recommend purchasing the "aluminum cutting" carbide
>version. The rake angles are more suitable.

List,

If you use a non-aluminum type carbide blade (the main difference, as
Gary pointed out is 0 degree rake, and I must say, although the cut
is cleaner, the alum 6061, "builds up" more also);

PLEASE use a 'triple chip' or 'rip' style blade. The tooth form of
these blades is "tougher" than the mote common ATB (alternate top
bevel) or ATBR (Alternate Top Bevel w/ Raker).

Otherwise, bits of carbide teeth can break off and cause injury.

Also, PLEASE use a lubricant! I suggested beeswax earlier, and it
works well. Also can use boeshield, or some of the spray-on products
of Bostick (was sandaro). The lubricant obviously helps the CUTTING,
but it also tends to keep the aluminum dust down. Aluminum dust has
been linked to alzheimers...

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread

Rose, Gary 2001-01-16 04:52:18 UTC Re: Aluminum cutting ballendo@y... 2001-01-16 12:59:37 UTC re:Re: Aluminum cutting A. G. Eckstein 2001-01-16 15:11:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:Re: Aluminum cutting dave engvall 2001-01-16 20:46:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Aluminum cutting