CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Potpurri ?

"Arne Chr. Jorgensen" wrote:

> I wish I could say that 2+2=4, but I can't. I don't know if Linux
> is using Bios after it is loaded, and I don't know how a remapped
> memory space would be seen like by Linux. But I think it don't
> bother anyway, because it uses another way to deal with all of
> this. Linux will only run on 80386, and uses another memory
> management - protected mode.

I'm about 95% sure that the code in the bios ROMs (and I/O board
ROMs) are NOT ever used after the boot sequence loads the first
boot block into memory.

> I run several computers on a coax network, and it is just so nice,
> it is amazing.

Yes, I went with coax, too. It can actually be cheaper than twisted pair.

> --------------------------
> I finnish with some simple question:
>
> What is the encoder index signal used for ?

The concept is that the encoder can produce a much more accurate home
position than a micro-switch, but the index recurs every rotation of a shaft
encoder. So, by combining a micro-switch for a coarse location, and then
setting the coordinates the next time the index signal goes true, you get a
very accurate home position. This is a nice feature when you turn the
system off overnight, and can pick up the location of a fixture the next
day.

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 1999-07-29 04:45:46 UTC Potpurri ? Patrick Huss 1999-07-29 11:13:03 UTC Re: Potpurri ? Jon Elson 1999-07-29 21:33:36 UTC Re: Potpurri ? Tim Goldstein 1999-07-29 22:06:32 UTC RE: Potpurri ?