CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Microkinetics - Tim & Scott

on 2001-01-17 12:03:16 UTC
Alan,

No, I am talking about the AMP insulation displacement type connectors
used on Dan's breakout board and the 5AMP Bipolar controllers he
makes. These connectors are pain in the back side to get 24 gauge
wire properly installed in without the proper tool (a screw driver is
not the proper tool). He uses a larger version of these to connect
the power for the steppers and the connections to the steppers.
Don't take me wrong, I really like his products and will definately
purchase more controllers from him. I will also find a souce for the
proper AMP tools for these insulation displacement connectors so that
I can make proper cables for them.

John Guenther

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>
wrote:
> John,
>
> If you are talking about an AMP DB25 connector, I believe that the
pins
> can be either crimp or solder type (you can usually get away with
> soldering the crimp types also). The "insertion" tool is a little
$5
> piece of plastic, with a half-round end, and a 3/4 round end (the
3/4
> makes it easier to "remove" a pin). I usually don't bother with an
> insertion tool. Just push them in by holding them close to the pin;
> they will "snap" in. I *DO* crimp the pins with the proper tool
(and
> before that, I soldered them!).
>
> Hope this makes it easier!
>
> Alan KM6VV
> PS, Pins between AMP and Cannon (typ) are NOT interchangeable! They
> won't "snap" in right, wiggle too much, and are a BEAR to remove!
>

> John Guenther wrote:
> >
> > I bought the Dan Mauch breakout board to use with his 5AMP bipolar
drivers.
> > I had some problems with getting the breakout board to work, but I
firmly
> > believe that the problems I had were due to the AMP connectors and
my lack
> > of the proper AMP insertion tool for these connectors. I have
mine working
> > now, but I don't really trust the AMP connectors so I will
purchase the
> > proper insertion tools just to make sure I have the proper
insertion of the
> > wires into these connectors. IMHO Dan should include the
insertion tools or
> > at least make them available or change over to screw connectors
for ALL
> > connections on his products.
> >
> > John Guenther

Discussion Thread

William Reidsema 2001-01-17 03:33:49 UTC Microkinetics - Tim & Scott John Guenther 2001-01-17 05:00:02 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microkinetics - Tim & Scott Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2001-01-17 10:56:13 UTC Dan Mauch, was Re: Microkinetics Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-17 11:03:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microkinetics - Tim & Scott John D. Guenther 2001-01-17 12:03:16 UTC Re: Microkinetics - Tim & Scott Tim Goldstein 2001-01-17 12:13:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Dan Mauch, was Re: Microkinetics Graham Hollis 2001-01-17 13:13:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microkinetics - Tim & Scott Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-17 13:20:58 UTC Re: Microkinetics - Tim & Scott