CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] belt drives GT vs HTD

Posted by Greg Jackson
on 2001-02-15 06:05:55 UTC
I know that your question relates to transmission, not the general frame,
but I might suggest being quite careful with the frame. I am thinking
about emergency conditions where something goes haywire. I was doing
control engineering on a gantry system which lost it's feedback and the
gantry nearly went through the framework. This prompted the mechanical
engineers to take another look at the framework and consider more seriously
what would happen if the gantry impacted the end of travel at full speed.
They changed the design considerably.

In my case, the only reason the gantry did not go through the frame and
roll down the factory floor was that I had tied a 8000 lb nylon strap onto
it as a sort of safety leash. It was the kind of strap we used on the
overhead cranes. After the incident occurred the knot on the nylon strap
was so tight that they had to cut it apart and the machine frame was pretty
seriously bent. The gantry was about 15' long and weighted in at about
1500 lbs. I think it was driven on a HDT belt about 3" wide. As you might
expect, stepper motors were not involved.

GTJ

At 03:56 AM 2/15/01 +0000, you wrote:
Chart I have says a 1" GT belt is good for 184lbs. working force.
> Any one see a problem with this? Have I overlooked or under
>calculated anywhere?
>
> thanks
> CB

Discussion Thread

carlcnc@s... 2001-02-14 19:56:48 UTC belt drives GT vs HTD ballendo@y... 2001-02-15 03:06:35 UTC Re: belt drives GT vs HTD rfs@c... 2001-02-15 04:18:55 UTC Re: belt drives GT vs HTD ballendo@y... 2001-02-15 05:11:59 UTC Re: belt drives GT vs HTD Greg Jackson 2001-02-15 06:05:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] belt drives GT vs HTD