CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Running My Controller

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 1999-08-14 08:02:29 UTC
Thanks Tim, Thanks Matt.

I have finally got EMC working with the controller that uses the superior
electric type driver modules that I sell to various customers.(the 2.5 Amp
Modules for the smaller machines.)
After I got EMC loaded last week I ran into several problems. first I was
not getting any ouput from my parallel port. I have an LED diplay that I use
for trouble shooting. I tried reconfiguring the port and several other
ideas. All failed the I decided to add a second lpt . But first I wanted to
make sure that the PC was configured properly. When I checked the pc I
noticed that the ribbon cable from the lpt connector tothe db25 connector
was partially ajar. That solved that problem. I must have dislodged it when
I replaced the 500meg H/D , added the cdrom and added memory.
But it still did not run. I glanced at the wiring hookups and my mind must
have not noticed that emc uses a pinout that in not what most of the PC
software uses.
My Led display was showing that the direction bit was changing states but I
was not getting the pulse stream. Matt noticed my error and I corrected the
mistake. I have a db25 connector pcb that mates with the pc parallel port
cable. Then there are 4 r/a connectors that match up to cables for each axis
that run to the drivers.
It was a simple matter to make up a new cable to reconfigure the pins to
match up with emc.
I tested the X axis this morning with emc. It ran really nice in the manual
and mdi modes. I I need to make a few other changes and get the Y and Z axis
running. BTW when you get EMC up and running. If the Z axis doesn't jog from
the keypad try the page-up page down keys adjacent to the keypad.
Dan