CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Running My Controller

Posted by George Potter
on 1999-08-15 21:50:32 UTC
I don't know where the figure 5 Khz comes from, as the
"normal" parallel port hardware (assuming based on that
disclosed in the "original" IBM AT Handbook is only
limited by how fast your software can write to it ....
(up to the ISA I/O card bus speed). (I believe that
even on "slow" machines it should be possible to get
around 100 kbytes / second out the port. (The
"newer" ECP (etc.) types of ports should support
7 or 800 kbyte through put, if I remember correctly).
(all of my support books are at work). The capacitors
shouldn't be a limiting factor.

If someone really needs to know, I can write a few lines
of code, and see what I can get out of one (meaning
hardware limits), but it will take a few days to get around
to it.

In a past life, I used the parallel port to run various production
test hardware, and it was amazing what could be run that way.

Regards,
George Potter