CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Running My Controller

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-08-16 08:36:15 UTC
Dan,

This has been changes since the 08-Jun-1999 release. Here is the release
note on it:

5. The stepper motor task now runs at a configurable pulse rate, using
the [AXIS-0,1,...] CYCLE_TIME value as the period of the pulse. Since
there's one task for all axes, it uses the shortest time. So, if
the shortest CYCLE_TIME among all axes is 0.000500 (500 microseconds),
the pulse rate is 500 microseconds per step, or 2 kilohertz. The
shortest this time can probably be is something like 200
microseconds.

Then it 14-Jun-1999 it was again modified to make it easier to set. Again,
here is the release note:

4. Automatic calculation of the stepper motor task cycle time, based
on the [TRAJ] MAX_VELOCITY and [AXIS_0,1,...] INPUT_SCALE values. The
larger the MAX_VELOCITY and the higher the INPUT_SCALE value, the
faster the stepper task needs to run to output pulses fast enough. The
procedure for setting up steppers is to set the INPUT_SCALE for each
motor to be its counts per unit (e.g., 4000 steps/inch), and then set
the MAX_VELOCITY to be the units/second value you want (e.g., 2
inches/second for 120 IPM rapid). If your motors have different values
for steps/unit, the largest one is the one that counts. Note that the
INPUT_SCALE * MAX_VELOCITY should not exceed 5000 or so, or the
stepper task timing will be too short for RT-Linux to handle it. For
4000 steps/inch, the MAX_VELOCITY should be at most 1.25
inches/second, which is a 75 IPM rapid rate. Keep in mind that your
stepper motor driver may be the limiting factor. You may need to limit
the MAX_VELOCITY to even smaller values if your motors can't run fast
enough.

Tim
[Denver, CO]