CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Pictures of Bridgette

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-04-26 17:59:03 UTC
Tim,

1) You already have it.
2) It's well proven.
3) Air works with "logic" also, so it CAN be driven from the computer.
4) air is cheap, clean, and reliable.

Having said that, I really just didn't want you to "dismiss it" out
of hand... Don't throw out the baby with the bath water, so to
speak...

I see people "deciding" against older technology, sometimes just
because it's old. And forgetting that it worked pretty well...
Remember that a lot of old cnc iron is replaced because IN A
PRODUCTION MONEY MAKING SITUATION it doesn't cut it. That's not often
the case in a hobby situ.

You are there looking at what you have, and only you know what your
needs are. If, after consideration of the alternatives, replacing the
wizard with a stepper setup makes sense; then by all means go to
it!

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

P.S. Sometimes the best approach is to get "back to square zero"
first, THEN make mods, IF necessary. Feature-itis can lead to
approach-avoidance conflict(where you are afraid that the outcome
won't be as good as it needs/you want it to be, so procrastination
sets in).
If a machine is in near usable condition, I'd try using it as it was
orig. intended first. You may learn some nuances you don't see at the
outset.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> But why not replace it with a stepper motor driven unit instead of
the air
> unit? That way I could run it directly from the CNC computer.
>
> Tim

Discussion Thread

jvicars@c... 2001-04-25 18:52:15 UTC Pictures of Bridgette Tim Goldstein 2001-04-25 19:50:33 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pictures of Bridgette ballendo@y... 2001-04-25 22:29:58 UTC Re: Pictures of Bridgette Tim Goldstein 2001-04-25 22:39:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Pictures of Bridgette ballendo@y... 2001-04-26 17:59:03 UTC Re: Pictures of Bridgette