CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC GUI

Bertho Boman wrote:

> From: Bertho Boman <boman@...>
>
> Thank You Jon,
>
> Your site is very nice and you have lots of interesting projects going.
>
> Maybe it is time to put a Linux box together but time? Too many toys and too little time.
>
> Of course the big problem is that work is interfering with my hobbies.

Yeah, that's the truth. But, I have actually been fairly successful in making
my hobby and my work merge in some areas. I did a big project, the first
real machining task for my CNC mill, making 34 housings for photomultiplier
tube voltage dividers, as a subcontractor to my boss, who was doing the
rest of the project for Lawrence Berkeley National Labs. I underbid it
by a huge margin, but that's how you learn.

I got into Linux specifically to bring up EMC, but immediately saw other
uses for it, and have another Linux machine, which will eventually replace
my aging Micro-VAX II, which has a bunch of software I need for my
business, and also runs some stuff in my house. Then, we hooked up
with another national lab that was putting together a great data acquisition
system, also based on Linux. So, I was already quite familiar with the
Linux install hassle, etc.

Anyway, I got the guts of an Excellon PC board drilling machine about
15 years ago, and only in late 1997 got moving on converting my mill,
using many of those parts (complete axis drive, from motor to precision
ballscrew).

Good luck,

Bertho Boman 1999-09-03 08:53:15 UTC EMC GUI Jon Elson 1999-09-03 16:03:52 UTC Re: EMC GUI Bertho Boman 1999-09-03 16:40:39 UTC Re: EMC GUI Jon Elson 1999-09-03 23:13:53 UTC Re: EMC GUI