CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How to install motors into a Grizzly or Enco Milling CNC?

on 2001-05-31 18:03:22 UTC
Hi Jose,

for "sending the 3D image to the controller for interpolation, we
usually break the task down into several parts:

1) A CAD program allows us to define part, and create the toolpaths we
want. This toolpath could be .DXF file.

2) The .DXF tool path is then converted to Gcode (a little like a
plotter file). Call this a .DXF to Gcode translator, or add a "/CAM" to
the "CAD" software above, and do it in one convenient package.

3) The Gcode file is interpreted, and the "steps" to move the motors (do
the interpolation here) are calculated. This is a "controller"
program. Or it could be an "imbedded" program running on a dedicated
computer for a machine tool.

4) The step commands (step/dir) are send to "driver" hardware, and
THAT's what runs the motors, be they steppers, or servos.

Is that how you see it? What part(s) do you want to built? What
part(s) do you want to buy? Other then the motors, one can build any of
the "parts". ;>)

Alan KM6VV